Facts & Figures
- The Weierstrass Institute is a member of the Leibniz Association. The Leibniz Association connects 97 independent research institutions that address issues of social, economic and ecological relevance.
- Together with six other Berlin Leibniz Institutes, WIAS is part of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V., which provides these institutes with a common administrative infrastructure (“joint administration”).
- The WIAS is seat of the Secretariat of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) as well as the office of the German Mathematical Society (DMV.
- The institute is a member of ERCOM (European Research Centres on Mathematics) and IMSI (International Mathematical Sciences Institutes).
- Within the Leibniz Association, WIAS coordinates the Research Network Mathematical Modeling and Simulation (MMS) including more than 30 Leibniz Institutes.
- The institutional funding is provided in equal parts by the Federal Government and by the Federal States of Germany. This funding amounted to € 9.9 million for the year 2022. In addition, the Institute raises funds in competitive procedures of national and international science foundations, German federal ministries as well as from industry (“third-party funds”).
- On December 31, 2018, WIAS had 147 staff members, 108 of whom were scientists (incl. Ph.D. students). 49 of these positions are third party funded.