A Quality Tetrahedral Mesh Generator and a 3D Delaunay Triangulator
Research Group: Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing
Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS)
Mohrenstr. 39, 10117 Berlin, Germany
TetGen is a program to generate tetrahedral meshes of any 3D polyhedral domains. TetGen generates exact constrained Delaunay tetrahedralizations, boundary conforming Delaunay meshes, and Voronoi partitions. The following pictures respectively illustrate a 3D polyhedral domain (left), a boundary conforming Delaunay tetrahedral mesh (middle), and its dual - a Voronoi partition (right).
TetGen provides various features to generate good quality and adaptive tetrahedral meshes suitable for numerical methods, such as finite element or finite volume methods. For more information of TetGen, please take a look at a list of features.
TetGen is written in C++. It can be compiled into either a standalone program invoked from command-line or a library for linking with other programs. All major operating systems, e.g. Unix/Linux, MacOS, Windows, etc, are supported.
TetGen (version 1.5.1, released on August 18, 2018) is available as a .zip file (273k) or as a .tar.gz file (274k). The downloaded package includes the C++ source code of TetGen, a README file, a LINCESE file, a makefile for compling, and an example file for testing.
- The user's manual of version 1.5.0 is available
- Release notes. What's new in version 1.5.0?
- Features. What can TetGen do?
- Example meshes. Pictures of some selected meshes generated by TetGen.
- Input file examples. Some downloadable input files for TetGen.
- TetView. Displays the input and output files of TetGen with various viewing options. Executable binaries of different platforms are freely available.
- A technical paper about TetGen is available at
Hang Si. 2015. "TetGen, a Delaunay-Based Quality Tetrahedral Mesh Generator". ACM Trans. on Mathematical Software. 41 (2), Article 11 (February 2015), 36 pages. DOI=10.1145/2629697 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2629697
- The full list of reference of TetGen is available from here.
The development of TetGen is executed at the Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics in the research group of Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing. The Pdelib project develops a collection of software components for solving non-linear partial differential equations including 2D and 3D mesh generators, (parallel) sparse matrix solvers, and scientific visualization tools, etc.
Tel.: 030 20372-560
- WIAS-ALEA - Framework for high-dimensional functional Uncertainty Quantification
- awc - Adaptive weights clustering
- aws - Adaptive weights smoothing
- BALaser for the simulation of dynamics in broad-area semiconductor lasers
- BOP - A Simulator for Large-Scale Process Engineering Problems
- ClusCorr98 ® for exploratory data analysis
- ddfermi - drift diffusion simulation tool
- DiPoG - Direct and Inverse Problems for Optical Gratings
- WIAS R-packages for imaging / neuroscience
- LDSL-tool for the simulation of longitudinal dynamics in semiconductor lasers
- WIAS-MeFreSim - 3D-Simulation of Multifrequency Induction Hardening
- ParMooN - Mathematics and object-oriented Numerics
- pdelib - a FVM and FEM toolbox for PDEs
- WIAS-TeSCA for two and three dimensional semi-conductor analysis
- TetGen - a Delaunay Tetrahedral Mesh Generator